Have you been meaning start a garden, but aren’t sure where to begin?
Are you paralyzed by possibility, and procrastinating getting started?
Following are some of the simple steps I shared with the Holistic Moms at my “Intuitive Gardening 101” class:
1) Start Small. Choose one or two things to begin planting, and see what happens. As your confidence grows, so will your garden.
2) Learn from your mistakes, and don’t be so hard on yourself. Even experienced gardeners, and farmers have “failures”. Every time you put a seed into the soil, you learn how you would do it differently the next time.
3) Enjoy the process. Growing food is important, and there are many serious reasons why you might want to learn, but the best way to learn is to have fun. Enjoy the experience, and each of the steps. Any experienced gardener will tell you that they receive as much joy in the process, as they do in the result.
4) Trust nature. Have you ever noticed a weed popping up through the crack in a sidewalk? Plants WANT to grow. Given sunlight, water, nourishment, and some love, all living things will flourish.
5) Plant things you’ll enjoy eating. There is nothing better than picking a ripe strawberry and eating it warm from the sun, but only if you like strawberries. In my house, I’m the only one who like bok choy, so this year we’ve planted less of it, and more of what we all can enjoy.